Dress, Eliza Dress, Leopard Print, Sewing, Vintage, Women's Style

Weekend Sewing: Finished Vintage-Stylie Dress

You might remember that some time ago I blogged about a dress that I had almost finished ‘A Vintage Affaire‘.  The hem just needed to be completed.  I then hit a snag and asked for help ‘Trouble shooting‘.  Since then, the dress has hung in my wardrobe and I hadn’t got round to finishing it for fear of ruining it!

While I was getting my dresses out ready for my holiday I saw it hanging there and I got the desire to wear it on holiday.  I put it on and bravely, or stupidly gave my teenager a pair of scissors to cut it off for me.  I figured that nobody would have a tape-meeasure when they see me wearing it and I wasn’t sure how easy it would be anyway with such an un-even hemline.  So, I trusted her to do her best with the scissors!

It ended up a little short once I had turned the hem up and sewed it, but it was fine for holidays.  Here is me twirling on my balcony in Turkey wearing the finished dress!!  Plus a stationary one so you can see the style better and one with my family where you can see the colour better.  I’m pretty pleased with it.

IMG_2671 IMG_2672 IMG_2673 IMG_2674IMG_2681FullSizeRender

Advertisements
Standard
Leopard Print, Sewing, Vintage

Sewing: A Vintage Affaire

I bought this pattern – the Eliza Dress from Eliza M Vintage and I fully intended to make it up in the summer.  It’s far too early to be wearing a dress like this just yet.  Having finished all of my other projects I just couldn’t wait to get started on another!

teal-blue-animal-print-100-viscose-dress-fabricI bought some fabric and cotton from Minerva Crafts so I could get started.

This is viscose.  It is quite flimsy and had I selected the fabric in a shop rather than on-line, I would have gone for something a little sturdier.  I found that this fabric frays easily, so all the seams needed to be zig-zagged as I don’t have an overlocker.  (I can see one going on my birthday list!!) Although using a zig-zag stitch to finish off the seams is a perfectly acceptable method, I still find that it looks a little untidy and would prefer to have the neat edge of an overlocker.

My cutting out accuracy needs to be improved too!  I thought that I had been accurate with this, but on making up the side seams, the back is a little longer than the front – about 1cm, so I will need to measure and re-cut the hem before sewing.  I have been watching the sewing bee and like the look of the cutting tool they use – it looks easier and more accurate than scissors.  What is your experience?  I can see that I could easily waste money on buying gadgets that I don’t really need!!

The pattern was pretty easy to follow.  The only thing I was unsure of was when I came to attach the bodice to the skirt, there was much more fabric in the skirt.  The pattern didn’t advise how to cope with this, so I just ‘eased’ it in.  I did end up with one little tuck which I couldn’t avoid, so I need to practice this technique more too.  Perhaps I should have tacked it before sewing.  I just pinned it and went fIMG_1119or it!IMG_1123

It was my first attempt at a concealed zip too.  I even tacked it before sewing.   I watched a couple of Youtube videos and went for it.  It has worked really well.  I just need to add a hook and eye at the top to finish it off.  I wasn’t quite sure where to start the zip – next time I would place it higher up.  I didn’t attempt pattern matching, so might think about that next time too.

The finished garment fits pretty well.  If I make the pattern up again I would add length to the bodice – it is a little short in the waist for me.  I shall get around it by adding a belt so you can’t see where it joins.

The other learning poiIMG_1120nt for me was while cutting out nicks in the curved part of the underarm seam allowance, I realised that as I pulled the small triangles out, it pulled the fabric.  There are small ‘runs’ in the pattern now – luckily all hidden under the arm, but will remember to be more careful and accurate with this next time.

As Gracie (my daughter) enjoyed sewing her circle skirt so much, I bought her the ‘Love at First Stitch’ book by Tilly Walnes.  I thought the modern designs would inspire her.  Actually, she hasn’t had a look in; I haven’t put it down!!  We have selected the Margot Pyjama bottoms to make next.  Grace would like us to make matching ones -shorts for her and long ones for me.  I also really like the Delphine Skirt.  So it’s off to the fabric shop today to find some more gems!

I’ll post a pic of the finished dress when I have done the hem.  Here it is up to this point.  I need to enlist some help to measure and mark the hem before I can finish it off and my lot are all looking a bit sleepy this morning! 🙂 IMG_1121

Standard