Here’s the second dress I made for Lesley – the proper dress, rather than the toile I blogged about last time.
After making the ‘test dress’ to check the fit, making up the silk dress for Lesley was a breeze. As there was enough fabric, I decided to line the bodice in silk too. There is nothing worse than wearing a beautiful dress and the lining keeps peeping out on display. I wanted to ensure that didn’t happen with this dress which Lesley planned to wear for her best friend’s wedding.
Lesley has a dramatic personality so I bought some bright pink lining fabric for the skirt.
The only alterations I made to this dress was to trim down the waist by a couple of centimetres and after a fitting session with Lesley I made an alteration to the pinch some fabric from under the side seam to prevent gaping. The shoulder straps were fitted to Lesley too so the fit was as good as possible. I used tailors tacks rather than making marks on the fabric – I didn’t want to risk doing anything to damage the delicate fabric.
Here’s the completed dress and Lesley trying it on. The colour – a bright coral – suits her perfectly. The full length sheath dress helps to give Lesley height and it shows off her curves beautifully.
And here she is on the day of the wedding with matching fascinator and shoes. Looking gorgeous Lesley! Here’s the message she sent me “I loved my dress ….. I felt very glamorous and very special xxxxxxxxxxxx”