I bought this pattern – the Eliza Dress from Eliza M Vintage and I fully intended to make it up in the summer. It’s far too early to be wearing a dress like this just yet. Having finished all of my other projects I just couldn’t wait to get started on another!
I bought some fabric and cotton from Minerva Crafts so I could get started.
This is viscose. It is quite flimsy and had I selected the fabric in a shop rather than on-line, I would have gone for something a little sturdier. I found that this fabric frays easily, so all the seams needed to be zig-zagged as I don’t have an overlocker. (I can see one going on my birthday list!!) Although using a zig-zag stitch to finish off the seams is a perfectly acceptable method, I still find that it looks a little untidy and would prefer to have the neat edge of an overlocker.
My cutting out accuracy needs to be improved too! I thought that I had been accurate with this, but on making up the side seams, the back is a little longer than the front – about 1cm, so I will need to measure and re-cut the hem before sewing. I have been watching the sewing bee and like the look of the cutting tool they use – it looks easier and more accurate than scissors. What is your experience? I can see that I could easily waste money on buying gadgets that I don’t really need!!
The pattern was pretty easy to follow. The only thing I was unsure of was when I came to attach the bodice to the skirt, there was much more fabric in the skirt. The pattern didn’t advise how to cope with this, so I just ‘eased’ it in. I did end up with one little tuck which I couldn’t avoid, so I need to practice this technique more too. Perhaps I should have tacked it before sewing. I just pinned it and went for it!
It was my first attempt at a concealed zip too. I even tacked it before sewing. I watched a couple of Youtube videos and went for it. It has worked really well. I just need to add a hook and eye at the top to finish it off. I wasn’t quite sure where to start the zip – next time I would place it higher up. I didn’t attempt pattern matching, so might think about that next time too.
The finished garment fits pretty well. If I make the pattern up again I would add length to the bodice – it is a little short in the waist for me. I shall get around it by adding a belt so you can’t see where it joins.
The other learning point for me was while cutting out nicks in the curved part of the underarm seam allowance, I realised that as I pulled the small triangles out, it pulled the fabric. There are small ‘runs’ in the pattern now – luckily all hidden under the arm, but will remember to be more careful and accurate with this next time.
As Gracie (my daughter) enjoyed sewing her circle skirt so much, I bought her the ‘Love at First Stitch’ book by Tilly Walnes. I thought the modern designs would inspire her. Actually, she hasn’t had a look in; I haven’t put it down!! We have selected the Margot Pyjama bottoms to make next. Grace would like us to make matching ones -shorts for her and long ones for me. I also really like the Delphine Skirt. So it’s off to the fabric shop today to find some more gems!
I’ll post a pic of the finished dress when I have done the hem. Here it is up to this point. I need to enlist some help to measure and mark the hem before I can finish it off and my lot are all looking a bit sleepy this morning! 🙂